Sunday, July 5, 2009

Meditation for Weight loss

So...i'm still in love with Deepak's book..."Perfect Health".

something beautiful (get your barf bag out, Danielle :-).

He has an entire chapter on Freedom from Addictions, and in that chapter he addresses the use of meditation to treat them.
Some addictions are a way to "treat" ourselves and/or medicate ourselves from misery and pain. We use the cigarettes, alcohol to provide some kind of relief and then continually turn to them.
When using meditation, most addictions/self abuse problems just "fall away" because they are consistently connecting to their own source of calm, serenity, and joy.

By reconnecting to your personal center of joy, you shift your outlook and lose the "need" to use a drug, drink, or food to make your world brighter...the meditation automatically makes the world a brighter place.

My major addictions were nicotine, caffeine, and still food. When i'm tired, agitated, or emotional i turn to food and television to help ease myself out of my funk. Heavy food helps to drown out the anxiety i often feel in the pit of my stomach, and tv turns my worry away from myself and to other people's problems.

And he's definitely right! When i quit smoking, i started life. I started doing yoga, playing volleyball and softball regularly and really connecting with the world in a new way.

Trying meditation is not hard. It's as simple as breathing and sitting still. Let me know if you want to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment