Saturday, February 7, 2009

Something to believe in...

So, I've been kind of winging this whole effort to see how well it goes. Now I need a longer-term plan.

I haven't had a good goal to work toward in a while. The thing about goals in this arena is that they're VERY tricky. A good goal has to be rewarding enough to get you through days where you want to just chuck it all and dive into the couch and a pizza.
It also has to measure just how far you have come and be attainable....Dear god, I hate to say this...but it has to be a SMART goal "Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely".

So i'm thinking hard on this today and tomorrow. I can't run a 5K or do a triathlon (sorry, Becca), here are some of the ideas floatin' around my head....

  • Fitting into a size 12 comfortably for the first time in 12 years?
  • Wearing a 2-piece to the family float trip?
  • Walking 3 miles without hip pain?
  • hiking the katy trail?
  • Eating 2 slices of pizza and stopping...happy and full? (is that POSSIBLE?)
  • Weighing less @ my 16 year high school class reunion than i did @ graduation?
  • Ideas??
hmmm these are all good goals.. and a couple of them are possible sooner rather than later... i'm thinking....
What do you all think? I know Becca has ideas...

2 comments:

  1. I think those goals are wonderful and if you put those into a specific order, I think you will have more than enough on your plate until after Summer.

    Start with:
    ~ Eating 2 slices of pizza and stopping...happy and full?

    Than move to:
    ~ Walking 3 miles without hip pain (but make sure Dr. george is well aware of everything)

    Than the next step from there is:
    ~ hiking the katy trail (I will be more than happy to go with you)

    And from there go to:
    ~ Fitting into a size 12 comfortably for the first time in 12 years

    I think the hardest thing is to take the first step to start all of this. Than you can move forward with other things once you hit certain goals like the nest could be the two piece, etc. Start out nice and slow and you can accomplish them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me - ideas? Let's see, let's start by having you walk to certain cheer points while I run my marathon :)

    Walking is great exercise and STL has a ton of great trails. You can go to http://trailnet.org/trail_main.php to see a list. You could hit a different trail every weekend or once a month.

    Have you ever walked Forest Park? (It would be something to work towards if you haven't - its a little under 6 miles around) It's a really great varied route and you can see the highway 40 progress (it's a little erie seeing it all torn apart).

    And eat a big salad before pizza and maybe then you'll be full?

    I also just read about this trail, that sounds cool: http://www.rei.com/stores/store_event_detail.jsp?pid=C64C4F9FD6815ADF44BA7CFC9C026581&template_id=14&template_family=webDetail&ignore_cache=1&cm_mmc=Email_noncom_rm-_-events-_-na-_-na

    ReplyDelete