Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Dinner Table

So Chapter 3 of our little "Perfect Weight" book is a bit controversial, as he recommends "self-massage" with a loofah. So far it doesn't bother me. I can't wait to hear what Danielle says :-).

Another big part of it is changing your eating habits to become more mindful of the food you are eating..working to slowly chew and eat and savor every bite...doing so in a calm environment.

Which brings me to my story. Recently, I was lucky enough to sit down to dinner with my parents, 2 of my 3 brothers and my niece and nephew on a a Tuesday night.

My brother and Mom tag teamed on frying bacon for bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwiches. (yum)
Then everyone started piling into the kitchen to help, backseat fry, and/or just generally harass the kitchen staff. the meal was great. BLT's with your choice of jelly/butter toast or Mayo. ( Both, duh).

Then I promptly sat down and ate 3 different sandwiches and quite possibly 1/2 lb of bacon (we made a total of 3 lbs. we. like. bacon.).

I was STUFFED. and i realized that i ate all of that in about 10 min. it felt like the whole evening was on Fast Forward. My brother had to get the kids home and showered and put to bed. I still had to drive an hour to get home, younger bro and Dad were working in the shop.
Crazy busy.
ALSO...we've always joked at how quickly my family can put down a meal. we are efficent eaters and can polish off an entire meal together in about 10-15 min. Always have. My theory is that we are 3 boys, 1 girl. Boys are generally competitive, and the one that finishes his first portion first, gets to the leftovers faster.

Just saying...my cousin are a family of all girls. At big family get togethers...they are the last ones to finish eating. And if they don't like something they don't eat it off of their plate. (huh?).

It says a lot about my current habits. When there is something really tasty (pizza, fries, etc) I'm usually eating my first portion...eyeballing the rest.

Ok. that's all :-).

Still believe that 3 lbs of bacon is a perfectly healthy amount though. it's so salty-delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously. I don't remember the loofah part...I have to re-read the rubbing instructions. A loofah, I could do (maybe). It was the sesame oil that sounded like too much work. Will EVOO work??? I'm exhausted and have been watching TV...now I'm hungry for bacon. I LOVE BLTs. I'll look back at Chapter 3 and contribute soon. I have a dinner tomorrow...so eating has to come before reading. :)

    I love your stories. They are the best!

    ReplyDelete