Monday, January 5, 2009

The First Weigh-In of the Year

Well, I'm not nearly as motivated as Kristy to exercise. But I did make it out to the first TOPS meeting of the year. This is my SEVENTH "first weigh-in of the year". I'm not sure if I should be proud or depressed about that!

I joined TOPS in September 2002 as a way to prevent blindness. Weird, yes. After months of horrible head pain, I was finally diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri (PTC) ~ also known as Intracranial Hypertension. The head pain was similar (but also totally different) than my typical migraines. The short story was that my body was producing too much CSF or just couldn't absorb the CSF it did make.

Typically this rare disorder blesses fat woman who are baby-making age. Thanks to lots of research, I know that it inflicts lots of people. However, the description fit me. If the pressure continues on and on, you could go blind thanks to the damage to the optic nerves. And that totally freaked me out. I made some major changes and immediately started a two year journey to lose 60 lbs. Thanks to the weight loss and lots of good meds, the PTC symptoms totally disappeared. Life was pretty wonderful physically...being a size 10 didn't make all my problems disappear but it sure did make some good shopping!

Fast forward a few years, out pops a nearly 11 lb baby. Most of the baby weight comes off. Then I start a job where I sit. And stress. Then sit some more. And now I have 60+ lbs to lose ~ again.

Apparently I celebrated the holidays a little too well in 2008 because at tonight's weigh in, I was certainly very plentiful. But this is what I enjoy about the start of each new year...I get to feel like I'm not toooooo far behind on all the work projects. I get to start all over on the weight loss since the first weigh in doesn't count as a gain or loss -- just a do over.

Hopefully I get back on track tomorrow...and start to put some thought into this whole journey. I wish I put as much thought into all this as Kristy does. I will certainly enjoy learning from her!

1 comment:

  1. Whatever!! You are awesome. and I didn't know you had a possibility of blindness from the PTC!

    ReplyDelete