Saturday, January 24, 2009

Wagons you fall off of

Well, last night was a doozie for food intake. I attended a wine group in which everyone brought cajun food. Jumbalaya, Red beans and Rice (vegetarian), gumbo, and some tasty appetizers, and a carmel and chocolate bread pudding for dessert.

Then there were the wines!! French wines. I tried a Rose (pink and sweet), chardonnay, some kind of white called Evolution, and a couple of velvety reds.

It was so tasty all around. How do you stop yourself?

So this morning I have a Green Smoothie. Fruit and spinach. Best food/alcohol hangover cure I've found yet.. (other than a slinger and a Ski -Clinton County shout out on Wikipedia...WOOT!)

But I digress. What I'm really here to talk about are planning splurges where I eat foods that are rich, decadent, and crave worthy.

Doing the Detox diet sharpened my taste buds, and showed me how much unnecessary, and not so tasty food I was consuming. I am starting to believe that if I eat something reallllly rich and bad for me...it better be DELICIOUS.

So I've been mentally compiling a list of high calorie foods that are worth the extra gym time...or so tasty that a little bit goes a long way.. It needs a catchy name though...like the Bucket List.

Maybe the "10 min extra cardio" list...or something...(Ideas welcome).

A pre-req for this list, is that they are only to be enjoyed in limited quantitites, and with some planning. (Like special outings...maybe once per month I get to choose one...)
  • Pizza with a hand-tossed, homemade crust (Onesto's)
  • That bread pudding from last night
  • Spicy Gumbo/Jumbalaya...anything with Andouille sausage

  • Onion Rings/Fries

  • Rigatoni Pasta with a Cream tomato sauce (made with sausage and peas...yum!)

  • All other pasta dishes!

  • Bacon Cheeseburger, tomato, lettuce, mayo, mustard, ketchup, pickles, onions...with fries.

  • White Castle (sorry we were discussing it the other day, and there's just nothing like it)

  • All Stout beers (i.e. the Schlafly Tap Room Oyster and Stout Fest in March)

  • Tequila (good tequila)

  • Mexican food (no way to eat this healthfully ;)
  • Fried chicken with mashed potato's
  • Taco Bell (Not really mexican)
  • Loaded Nacho's.

Hmm. that's a start. Mmm I'm planning a date with Onesto's pizza for February...

2 comments:

  1. Everything in moderation is good for the soul. No reason to ban yourself from things yout truly enjoy when you are willing to work a little harder for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup. but what about when you are incapable of moderation? Gots to learn how to deal with it! it's tough.

    ReplyDelete